Sunday, February 12, 2012

SUNDAYS with BFly....'A Moment in Black Herstory': WHITNEY HOUSTON

What's more inspirational than a teenager believing in herself enough to follow her dreams? To follow her dreams and make it big? To make it big and Wow the world? To be known, worldwide, just by your first name? To be known as 'The Voice?' To be viewed as the voice to be reckoned with? To have a voice that is incomparable; a voice that set a standard many aim for but only few (if any) can reach? To be a woman strong enough in her own conviction to do what she wants, when she wants, where she wants and how she wants with no apologies offered? To walk with her head held high even in her lowest days? To be WHITNEY ELIZABETH HOUSTON. Whitney came on the music scene at the mere age of 18, and from the start, she was a bonafide star. She was beautiful, classy and immensely talented. She was humble, yet confident. Soft spoken yet strong. She has celebrated relatives but shone brightly in her own light. She had a big voice that sent chills up your spine and tears down your face. Hit after hit, it was evident that Ms. Whitney Houston was here to stay. Throughout the late 80's & 90's, Whitney brought us music we loved to sing to, cry to, make love to and even, dance to. She starred in a few films and earned enough respect to rightfully add 'actress' to her talent list. In one word, Whitney was 'Phenomenal.' Unfortunately, her reputation as a classy, unblemished wonder of a woman was tarnished when she became romantically involved with, and eventually married to, Bobby Brown. Most people know the story of Mr. & Mrs. Brown (or Mr. & Mrs. Houston, depending on who you're talking to) so I won't go into too many details about their tumultuous 15 year relationship. I will suffice it to say, the couple became addicted to drugs and known for outrageous, erratic, uncouth and disturbing behavior. Whitney's family and fans were shocked at the slow but sure decline of her career (and seemingly, quality of life) and though some were genuinely concerned for her, a lot of people began to 'kick her' while she was down. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and, unfortunately, in the life of a superstar, millions of opinions are thrown their way. Still, Whitney managed to keep her head up. As a fan from day one, I was enamored with Whitney through her ups and downs. It hurt to see her in the alley of her life but I was never turned off to her person. I loved to see her and hear her, always....well, not quite. I didn't want to watch the reality show she and Bobby had. I knew what the genre of reality shows was built upon: drama, extreme drama; and from what the media constantly reported, Bobby & Whitney had plenty of it and I did not want to be privvy to it. I am so glad I did! Although, I'm sure, if I had watched, it wouldn't have made me less of a fan....of Whitney's or Bobby's. I understand that they are human beings just like the rest of us. I have seen loved ones battle a drug or alcohol addiction and it is no easy feat to overcome it. I know that drugs alter a person's personality, their character and turns them into someone unrecognizable. It's easy to judge, alienate, convict and put down a person who suffers from drug addiction. It keeps one from focusing on their own faults, shortcomings and, perhaps, addictions as well. It's easy for us to build people up, hold them up on their pedestals and drop them like a hot ear of corn at the simplest, most minor mistake or 'violation'....let alone, become a 'drug addicted junkie.' Shaking my damn head at us. No, I did not....would not...do that to Whitney. In my eyes, she was always a lady. A beautiful songbird. A class act. She will always be the lady who reminds me of my own mother's beauty. The lady who inspires the songstress that lives inside me. The lady who lends me strength through her lyrics, courage through her melodies and joy through her songs. She will always be that tall, slim, brown-skinned, beautiful, unapologetic, God-fearing mother, daughter, sister, cousin, friend, singer, actress, mentor, inspirational, phenomenal, wonderful human being. She will always be the incomparable voice that wowed the world at the tender age of 18 and will continue to inspire, motivate, delight and spread love for ever and ever and ever. Whitney, you are now heaven's songbird and you will be greatly missed here on earth. I thank you for your music, I thank you for your light and I thank you for being you. I will always be a fan and since I never met you here on earth, I hope to meet you some day in heaven. Rest in peace, dear Whitney..........I am forever inspired.....and IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALLLLLWAAAAAAAYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSS LOVE YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU!

2 comments: