Friday, February 24, 2012

'40 in 40': BFly's 40th Birthday Bucket List


In forty weeks and six days, I will be celebrating my fortieth birthday. Me, 40 years old…..WOW. Unlike when I was facing the age of 30, I am not feeling sad about turning 40. I was almost always the eldest person in my close group of relatives & friends and I’ve never had a problem with that…..at any age. That might be because I’ve never looked my age so it always felt good to hear people say, ‘You’re (insert number) years old?! GTFOH!’ or could be because I’ve just never had a problem with my age.  It feels weird when I say it aloud but other than that, hey, it is what it is.  Anyway, in my 39 years and 86 days on earth, I’ve had all kinds of experiences, been many places and met hundreds (thousands?) of people. Most of these experiences, I have shared with my siblings, relatives or long-time close friends. But there are many more people I should meet & share life with and much more for me to see, do, experience and enjoy.  So, in what I call my ‘Second Act’ of life, I intend to broaden my horizons, step outside my same ole square box and stop spending so much time in my comfort zone.

To kick off my ‘second act,’ I have decided to have 40 new experiences (big or small) in the 40 weeks leading up to my 40th birthday. Each week, beginning Thursday, March 1st and ending Wednesday, December 5th, I will do something new or different; every following Thursday, beginning March 8th and ending on my birthday, December 6th, I will post about the new experience I had the week before. So far, I have compiled a list of  <40 things I would like to do.  As time goes on, I’m sure I will be inspired to add more to the list. I am also open to suggestions.

BFly's 40th Birthday Bucket List:
  1. Go one full week (that’s 7 days or 148 hours) without any contact or communication with my sisters. (Please pray for me!)
  1. Submit my writing to at least one major magazine.
  2. October 2013
  1. Lose, at least, 40 lbs.
  1. Become a licensed bartender.
  1. Relocate to Charlotte, NC.
  2. August 2013
  1. Take a weekend long trip with myself.
  1. Ask a guy out on a date.
  1. Pick up the tab on a date (not necessarily the date in #7).  I was asked out on a lunch date and my date was shocked out of his socks pleasantly surprised when I offered to pick up the check. 3/23/12
  1. Fall in love….with someone worthy of my love.
  1. Go one week without spending any $ on fast food/dining out.
  2. October 2013
  1. Make a sexy calendar 
  1. Start a job doing something I love.
  1. Take a dance class.
  1. Get a(nother) tattoo
  1. Treat myself to a spa day
  1. Host at least one Charity Event
  1. Break at least one of my bad habits (going to bed late, getting up late, eating out 90% of the time, procrastinating 90% of the time, not sticking to savings plan, overspending on gifts for others……just to name a few).
  1. Have the awkward conversation that I’ve been avoiding; gotta say it and move on
  1. Run for at least a half mile.
  1. Eat something I’ve never eaten before at a restaurant I’ve never been to. (Any suggestions?)
  2. Make peace with each of my siblings (oh, you thought we were 'perfect?'...NOT.....pray for me!)
  3. Aug 2013
  4. Purchase something outrageously expensive (nothing to make me homeless but something I'd otherwise say, "sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiittttt!" to)
  5. Go Jet-Skiing
  6. December 2012
  7. Take a sabbatical of (at least) 30 days
  8. February 2013 (LOA)
  9. Revamp my wardrobe
  10. Host a  5-course dinner party
  11. Go to a live taping of a show
  12. 2013 Additions
  13. Try online dating....and actually go out on a date with someone met on the site.


What are some things you think I should do before I turn 40? Hurry up and tell me, time is ticking!   

UPDATE 11/04/13: Up until today, my list only had 27 things on it and I didn't accomplish these goals before I turned 40. However, I will continue to pursue them and add more until I reach 40 things. Instead of '40 in 40' before I turn 40, they are on my list of '40 in 40' to accomplish during my (estimated 40 more years) Second Act of life...

No comments:

Post a Comment