Saturday, February 11, 2012

Single Awareness Day






S.A.D. Singles Awareness Day. Apparently, that is another name for Valentine’s Day, contrived under the notion that, on February 14, single people are strongly (and unapologetically) reminded just how single they are.  As if we didn’t know how single we are already.  I can’t help but to think, a man must’ve come up with this idea. 

Sure, St. Valentine’s Day is a day reserved mostly with the couple in mind, but those of us who are single can find ways to enjoy the day and people to enjoy it with.  Spending quality time with a loved one who may not necessarily be a lover is an option; hanging out with a girlfriend, a sibling, a son or daughter, parent or grandparent can all be fun things to do.  I know, I know, it sounds so…..so…..pitiful, right? Even I have to admit, doing any of those things pales in comparison to spending the day with a sweetheart. I’m not too proud to say: I WANT TO BE SOMEBODYS VALENTINEStill, Valentine's Day doesn’t have to suck and not having a valentine is not the end of the world. 

Yes, I would love to wake up on February 14th knowing that, at some point during the day, I will be getting a nice Valentine's Day gift. A card, some Lindt white chocolates, a big balloon and a sparkling piece of jewelry would be nice. Sitting at work with the expectation of a flower delivery or a surprise lunch date or an enticing phone call would make my day go so much smoother. Knowing that my evening will be filled with smiles, kisses, laughter and whispers of sweet nothings would really make my heart sing. Oh how I would enjoy buying (or making) a card for my sweetheart, fretting about the store trying to find the right gift to buy and carefully contemplating what outfit, shoes, scent, lip gloss, earrings, hairstyle to wear. I would be drunk with giddiness to have a special someone I could send sexy text messages to all day. Looking into the eyes, kissing the soft lips, being up close on and inhaling the scent of my formidable lover would absolutely fill me with joy. BUT, I know that’s not happening……not this year, anyway. 


Therefore, I will smile ‘til my face hurts as I witness the attached ones around me receive their Valentine’s Day love.  I will say, ‘Awwwww, that is so sweet….or nice…..or beautiful…..or hot!’ all day long. I will listen to the romantic (or not) stories of my friends and relatives who have sweethearts and I will probably say (as I’ve said for too many years prior), ‘Next year will be my turn!’ I will sometimes wince, tear up and swallow knots of emotion but I will NOT be a sour grape, fun-sucker (as my dear niece says) or joy-thief. As always, I will be genuinely happy for those around me who are fortunate to have love, not only on Valentine’s Day, but every day before and after. This is not to say being single is UNfortunate, but, you know what I’m saying (right?). I plan to enjoy Valentine’s Day aka Singles Awareness Day, either with myself or with a loved one. I have no plans, as of yet, but whatever I do, I just hope I don’t end up shedding a ‘whyamI(still)single’ tear (though I’m not making any promises)! 

Do you have any suggestions on how I should spend Singles Awareness Day?  Do you know of any singles events happening in the Albany area?  If so, let a Single-but-Still-Smiling Sista know! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment