Thursday, February 10, 2011

Some Sweat, No Tears........

Last night was the first night of my 12-week training program at my local YMCA. My trainer is a cute, young guy who I'll call 'CK.' At our initial meeting, CK seemed to be a lil nervous and wet behind the ears. I could tell he was new to the personal training arena so I did ask him how long has he been at it. He said he's been doing it for just about 6 months and is currently in school for a career in the medical field. He was smart enough to include in our conversation, the fact that 'one woman I train has lost 20 lbs in 7 weeks'. He also let me know that my success was more on me than on him by telling me that there are other classes/trainers available on the days I don't meet with him. So, to optimize my results, I might want to consider doing more than what he will require of me. We'll see about that, young man.



So, I was about 10 minutes late to our training session but I got right down to business when I got there. I started off with the treadmill, which seemed to be too easy at first. I increased my speed three times (only to have to scale back the last time....lol) and finally began to break a sweat. By the end of the 33 minutes, I had walked a little over a mile, which isn't too shabby for someone who comes nowhere close to the recommended 10, 000 steps per day. After the treadmill, I did circuit strength training for 45 minutes, targeting every area on my body. I felt pretty good when I was done, which was actually cause for a pause. Why am I NOT sore, I wondered? After a few hours, I did begin to feel a dull ache in my thighs and biceps so I figured I'd surely be in great pain on the wakeup. However, when I got out of bed this morning, my body was not as sore as I thought it would be. I thought my muscles would be stiff as boards and I'd be on the verge of tears from the pain. But, not so. I've been feeling mild pain in all the targeted muscles and a moderate burn in my back (which I hope a massage from the honey will take care of tonight) but I have been getting around just fine. It makes me wonder if CK is going a little too easy on me or if Ms. KIA (KnowItAll) just needs to relax and let the man do his job. I guess, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment