Wednesday, November 2, 2011

On Second Thought....

When considering what to post today, I thought about about a few things that may have been viewed as negative and self-serving. First, I was going to vent about my disappointment in a few people close to me, then I thought I'd talk about one of (what I deem to be) my failures as a Mom, then I was gonna give an update on my 'WLS' journey. But none of those topics felt 'right' so, I decided to just wait.  I figured, throughout the course of the day, I would see, hear, read or think about something that would be interesting, positive and/or entertaining.....and fortunately, I was right. While perusing a few local blogs, I came across a post in which the author decided, for the month of November, she is going to post about being thankful. *Smacks myself in the forehead!* Why didn't I think of that?!  That idea is soooooooooooooo me!  Yeah....unh hunh.....well, I didn't think of it but I'm glad I ran across it because it's exactly what I am going to do. It will be an easy task to accomplish because I am thankful for so much already and I'm sure I'll have more to be thankful for in the coming days.  So, on that note, let me get started...........

Today, I give thanks for my grandmother, the beautiful Elizabeth, better known to many as 'Betty' or 'Liz'.....or the pretty old lady with a car full of 'junk.'  She is almost 89 years old and, though she now lives with me, is still pretty much an independent woman.  Physically, she is/has always been a stunningly beautiful woman.  Reddish-brown skin with black silky hair that, at one time, flowed down to her waist but is now thin, gray and shoulder length. She doesn't dress up much anymore but, when 'company' (which is mostly family) comes over, she fusses over her looks. On good days, she cracks jokes, requests a highball or a glass of blackberry wine and talks about the boyfriend she needs to get out and find.  They are few and far-between, but I love those times. From what I've heard and been a witness (sometimes party) to, it's safe to say that my grandmother led a very colorful life.  Through stories told by her and others, I have heard about her ups & downs, ins & outs, triumphs & tragedies and loves & losses she has enjoyed or endured.  In spite of, or because of, it all, I was blessed to have the most wonderful grandmother a girl could ever wish for.  Grandma has been my mother, teacher, doctor, banker, chauffeur, chef, bartender (ha!) and shopping buddy.  There's not an area of my life that she has not touched in some way.  She not only taught me how to be a lady but she showed me what a lady should look, behave and be treated like.  My grandmother has given so much to me, of her time, energy, money and self  that I couldn't begin to repay her. Guess it's a good thing she's always done those things out of the goodness of her heart. ;-)  Although life together can be frustrating and tough, I am grateful and thankful for each moment.  I will always cherish the memories I have and relish in each opportunity we get to make more.  I can't imagine (what) life (would have been like) without my Grandma in it.....for her simple presence, I am thankful.

Who are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment