Friday, November 4, 2011

Team Work!

Often times, we sit around and complain about our coworkers, supervisors, managers and bosses: We don't get enough money, workplace rules are too strict, fellow employees are gossipers and backstabbers, our supervisors get paid more to do less, etc. etc. Rarely do you hear people talk about their love, or even like, for their jobs, respect for their superiors or appreciation of their coworkers (aka teammates). I've been a state employee for over five years and in my current position for a little less than four years.  In general, state workers (of the great New York) get a bad rap.  Some people think we get paid to sit around and do nothing; that we have too many perks and not enough productivity; that we are a bunch of spoiled brats.  I can't speak for other agencies, departments and offices but the people that I work for and with?  We get it in....work that is!  Yes, we are fortunate to not work for micromanagers, where our every move is monitored and recorded.  The atmosphere is pretty laid back and the vibe is cool.  I wouldn't say I wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to get to work but I'm not dragging myself in, dreading every second of my impending work day. I don't particularly enjoy what I do simply because I don't feel I do much, in the way of making an impact in the manner I would like to.  Sure, my tasks are important to the people my agency serves but there's very little self-satisfaction I feel.  However, what I do has absolutely nothing to do with my personal self or my satisfaction. I work in a service-driven industry on which whose focus is the people it serves.  We (the people behind the scenes) are simply charged to do our jobs to the best of our abilities, ensuring that the best services possible are made available to those who need it. To do that, I don't need to be satisfied....I just need to get to work and make it happen! And with the way the economy is right now, I'm just glad I have a 'work' to get to,' so for that, I give thanks.........

I am thankful to be gainfully employed; especially during these times when people are losing their jobs, their security and even parts of their dreams.  I am thankful that I have a place to be when I awake in the morning.  I thank God for the people I serve and I hope, through my completed duties, their blessings are plenty.  I'm thankful for my coworkers and staff members who work together with me to accomplish our company's goals.  Our work may be underrated, unappreciated and sometimes unfairly graded......but we continue to do it anyway.  Some days are long and frustrating, others are short and leisurely.  Some teammates are in it to win it, others are barely in.  Whatever the case may be, we are blessed to be in each other's midst, amongst the working population.  To be a part of a team who still has the chance to build their dreams, accomplish their goals, take care of their families and support the less fortunate makes me feel good....and for that, I am thankful.....

No comments:

Post a Comment