Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Work (Week) Interrupted

When I started my current job, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new office environment was just as cool as, if not more than the one I left.  My new supervisor was great and my coworkers turned out to be friendly enough; either people were nice or they were indifferent.  As an added bonus, not only were my new work hours flexible, where I could choose any shift to work (between the hours of 7 am - 6:30 pm) but I could also choose to have a day off every week or every other week, if I wanted.  Of course, being the kind of employee who requires a mental health day often, I jumped at the opportunity to have a regular day off, in addition to the weekends.  In order to have this kind of schedule, though, one has to make up the hours during their regular work schedule. I didn't like the idea of being at work for 9, 9.5 hours every day so I chose to have one day off every other week as opposed to every week. This meant I'd have to work a half hour longer each day of one week and 45 minutes longer each day of the next week. My off day of choice: Manic Monday! 

Everybody hates when Sunday rolls around because it means you have to get ready for work on Monday. Well, not meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  At least, not me every other Sunday. When my long weekend comes around, it almost feels like it's my birthday or some other holiday. While everyone is pulling themselves together, mentally and physcially, to face the work week once again, I am moving through my day with not a care in the world.  I'm cool, I'm calm, I'm walking around with a smile on my face....all day. I don't rush to do anything or go anywhere. The mere thought of not having to rise the next morning, with the sound of my alarm (after the 10th snooze hit) brings so much joy to my heart, it makes me wanna party. I usually do have a glass of wine or light cocktail in celebration of my 'easy like Sunday morrrrrniiiiinnnnnnn' Mondays. Sometimes, I try to get my sisters to hang out a little late that Sunday night....play some cards, shoot the sh*t, get a little buzzed.  But, more often than not, they have partied hard all weekend....or have saved that Sunday for household chores or family time so I don't get to use my Sunday night as a Saturday night party subsitute as much as I'd like to.  In any case, I find a way to enjoy my long weekend and for that extra day of rest, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment