Wednesday, January 11, 2012

BFly PRESENTS: 'WAY BACK WHEN'S DAYS,' where, every Wednesday, we'll take a trip down memory lane and discuss people, places and things from 'way back when.'

Today, let's talk about WAY BACK WHEN people 'had the red and black lumberjack with the hat to match' (rip Biggie). The year was 1984 and I was 11, 12 years old. Everybody who was anybody had a lumberjack coat. The colors varied from a plain black & white combination to pretty pinks, poppin purples, sunny yellows and bright oranges....with black, of course. If you didn't have one of these coats, you were not cool, couldn't be fly and definitely not hot.

My mother, the fashionista that she was, kept me and my sisters well-dressed, hair done (by her mostly) and hygiene up to par. She was always complimented on how well she took care of her girls....and she took pride in doing so. It was all fine and dandy until middle school....where most kids first experience the pressure of their peers. In '84, '85, a lot of kids my age were sporting lumberjacks, Goose downs, gold bangles, bamboo earrings, rope chains, Puma or Adidas sneakers, Salt 'n Pepa haircuts, spandex and leather jackets. My sister and I? Not so much.

You see, Ms. Mary (my mother) wasn't into the 'hip hop' or 'urban' scene. She was a conservative woman whose fashion style was mostly classic with not much trend sprinkled in. When we begged asked for stonewashed or two-toned jeans, sneakers and a purple or pink Goose, we were answered with a 'Yeah right!' look. Eventually, she did compromise and bought us the jeans we wanted (oh, how I loved my Sergio Valente and blue/gray two-toned jeans) but coats, sneaks and jewelry....noooooooooo can do!  Eventually, my sister and I did get some of the things we wanted....but not enough to be comsidered 'Fly Girls.' We were 'fly,' in our own right, and definitely part of the 'in' crowd. But 'round the way girls' we were not (and I sooooo wanted to be one)!

Were you a 'Fly Girl/Guy?' What trendy fashions did you rock back in the day?  Did your parents finance your fashion or did you find other ways to get what you wanted?

2 comments:

  1. I had an "UN-CONTRARY MARY" of my own (my mother). There were hardly any name brand/in fashion garments in my wardrobe either. The only items I can remember are the two tone jeans she "made" me (LOL, but she is the person I get my creative spunk from). She BLEACHED one of the legs and left the other as-is, and off to a day at the Museum we went. Two other items were a PLEATHER bomber and a Stone washed trench coat??? yeah, I know. My gear was pretty basic until I started working my first job and bought myself some 54.11's. Although at the time, I wished I was able to partake in the latest fashion, today I could care less about the latest name brands. So I'm thankful, in a way it kept me grounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad my mother didn't (allow us to) feed into the ever-changing fashion trends that bred many a career-booster/criminal. A lot of people I grew up with were brainwashed to believe, if they didn't have the hottest, latest fashions they were 'nobody.' Most parents around my way could not afford to constantly keep up with the Jones' so kids found ways to keep up themselves (by stealing, selling drugs, etc.).

      As a working adult, I find that I do have the desire to acquire some of the finer things, but not enough to neglect my household, do 'strange thangs,' or sell my soul. I thank my Mom for that.

      Delete