Friday, June 21, 2013

What's In A Name?

Becoming a grandparent at a young age (under 50) is very different from becoming one at a more mature age (60+). Not only physically but, your lifestyle is probably more suitable for grandparenthood at 60 than at 30- or 40-something. What about ages 50-59, you may be wondering? Well, I think that's an in-between stage where one may not expect but would welcome a little bundle of grandjoy with wide open arms. At any age, preparing for 'Grand' status includes coming up with a name you'd like to be called by your grandchildren. This process is more complex when you have to do this during a time you still consider yourself to be part of a young crowd (notice, I didn't say, 'the' young crowd). You don't want to deny your 'grand' status; at the same time, being called Grandma/Grandpa don't seem to fit and are usually out.of.the.question.

As a 37 year old (who is often thought to be a 20-something year old), with a very active social life, I knew I had to come up with something different and fly. Something that was not only grand but special to just us. It was difficult to do, but I finally came up with two names I thought were fitting:'G'va' (short for Grand Diva, pronounced Jee-va) or 'Gammi' (a remix of my nickname, which is 'Sammi'). When the grandiva (aka granddaughter) began to say Mommy, Daddy and other words, I attempted to teach her to call me 'G'va' then 'Gammi' But, for some reason, she would never say either one. Then one day, she called me 'Gida' (like Reeda with a hard 'G'). I looked at my daughter and asked, 'What did she say??' The grandiva said it again and proceeded to ask me for something (I forget exactly what else she was trying to say). Then it clicked that she was calling me 'Gida.' My daughter and I were like, 'Huh? Where in the world did she get that frommmmm???' We had no clue how she came up with that name, but, from that day on, she called me 'Gida.' So, I said, 'Hey, I'll take it (as if I really had a choice)!'

One day, I decided to look it up on the internet to see if it was really a word or name that, perhaps, means something in another language. So I googled it....and could not believe what I found. GIDA: a Zulu name for girls, meaning 'to dance & rejoice' (I'm not known for dancing but I got a few cute moves and I love to rejoice & celebrate). The definition goes on to say,GIDA’s potential involves questing a destiny along a variety of paths that may include writing, speaking, singing, acting or teaching; entertainers, writers, litigators, teachers, salesmen and composers. GIDA also has the destiny to sell herself or sell just about any product that comes along. GIDA is imaginative in her presentation and may have creative talents in the arts, although these are more likely to be latent. GIDA is an optimistic person that seems ever enthusiastic about life and living. GIDA is friendly, loving and social. People like GIDA because she is charming and such a good conversationalist. Her ability to communicate may often inspire others. It is her role in life to inspire and motivate; to raise the spirits of those around her.

GIDA wants to lead and direct, to work independent of supervision, by self or with subordinates. GIDA takes pride in her abilities and wants to be recognized for them. GIDA may seek opportunities to display her strength and usefulness, wanting to create and originate. In her desire to manage the big picture and the main issues, GIDA may often leave the details to others. Ambitious and determined, GIDA is a leader seeking opportunities and possesses a great deal of honesty and loyalty. GIDA is very attainment oriented and driven to success. GIDA is a loyal friend and strictly fair in her business dealings.


If you know me, you'll agree that this describes me to a 'T.' If you don't know me, just....take my word for it. GIDA is definitely me. I don't know who/what put this name in the mind & mouth of my grandiva, at the age of just 18 months old, but it is perfect....and exactly what I wanted. It's different, unique and special to just us. I love the sound of it, the meaning of it and most of all, I love that she came up with it on her own. It not only holds sentimental value but to me, it is also spiritual in nature because it speaks to the very person that I am. What's in a name? Individuality, beauty, significance and love. GIDA. Like the perfect dress, the name suits me and fits me like a glove.

No comments:

Post a Comment